CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 13, 2011

Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I absolutely loved this book. When I first heard about this book I thought that it would be to juvenile for me but once I say the show and the issues it dealt with I had to read the series. The saying that you should never judge a book by it's cover is so true in this instance. It took me no time to read it. I love all the characters but as stated earlier the one I most relate to is Spencer. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. I can't wait to finish Flawless so I can share with you all everything that happens.

So where to start because this book is amazing?! If you watch the show and enjoy it I recommend reading the book as the show leaves some details out that can only be found in the books. Pretty Little Liars is about 4 former BFFs that get hit with tragedy when their friend Alison goes missing during a summer sleepover. The book follows Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer three years after the incident. The girls soon discover that thanks to a mysterious person named "A" their bond can never be broken.

Aria went on leave to Iceland with her family after Alison "Ali" disappeared and is returning back to the town of Rosewood where the story takes place. On her first day back to town Aria meets Ezra at a local pub and gets to know him on a personal level. The next day Aria discovers that Ezra is her AP English teacher and receives her first of many messages from A sharing a secret with Aria that only Alison would know.Later something happens between Ezra and Aria because of these messages that A sends.

The story continues with newly transformed Hanna that has gone from being the chubby girl to school's reigning co-"Queen B" along with her new bestie Mona, who Hanna and her former friends used to make fun of. Hanna has daddy issues (need I say more?). After sitting in a police station after shopping lifting Hanna to receives a text from A about a secret that only Alison would know. Later in the story Hanna commits another crime after getting dumped by boyfriend Sean who tries to set her straight. Hanna then receives a message from A about her dad and it brings back painful memories.

Let's move to Spencer. Love her because out of all the girls I can relate to her most on the sibling issues she has. Not the betrayal aspect of Spencer but the aspect of having to compete with her sibling. When I mention betrayal boy do I mean it. Spencer does something I could never imagine doing to my sister once, but Spencer does it twice. The first incident her sister Melissa does not know about and when Melissa brings home sexy British boy Wren to meet the family Spencer receives her first message from A about coveting her sister's boyfriend. Spencer lusts after Wren and soon gets her way. When Melissa catches them, Spencer's family treats her worse than a dog and the emotional toll it takes on Spencer is awful.

Last but not least is Emily. Emily is on the swim and dates a swimmer named Ben, that is until she meets Mia and gets her second kiss from a girl. She starts to develop feelings for Mia and things change for Emily. She quits the swim team which her parents disapprove of and blame it on Mia. Her mother forbids Emily from hanging out with Mia and Emily finds that it isn't Mia's influence that bothers her mother but something different all together. Emily gets grounded and is only allowed out when Ben comes to pick her up for a party. Emily's parents hope that Ben can talk some since into Emily, however their plan backfires and Ben catches Emily and Mia together. Not to long after the party a discovery shakes the town...Alison's body has been found. Soon the girls are brought back together at Ali's memorial service. They come to the conclusion that they have all been getting messages from A and start to wonder if A has anything to do with the "Jenna thing". After the memorial service and the conclusion of the book, the girls receive a message from A that says, "I'm still here, bitches. And I know everything." What does this mean for the girls? Stay tuned to this blog for a review of Flawless the second book in the PLL series.



View all my reviews

1 comments:

Jackie said...

This series is so addicting! I think I relate to Spencer too. Nice review, and I look forward to reading more posts! :)

Post a Comment